Blog 4 - My not-so-favorite teacher: Part 2


So, the other lady that made it to my all my not-so-favorite teacher list was our PT (games teacher). I am sure most of my class loved her, but I had a specific reason why I wasn’t that fond of her. For me, the ‘games’ period would first start with mandatory weight checking of everyone. We would all be made to stand in a line (height order of course, so all the short people can be made fun of) and step on to the scale one by one. She would publicly announce everyone’s weight, laugh at the skinny ones and commend the “correct weight” kids. I understand it is important for anyone to be within their healthy weight range, but her intention was to shame us plump/fat kids. Now when I look back at my school pictures (example, see display picture), I cannot imagine why she would call me fat. Yes, I was slightly overweight and so were my two other friends. But every time during the weight checking ritual, she would single us three girls out and as per our weight she would call us names. I was panni (pig), the second girl was something in Tamil that meant hippo and the third was yanai (elephant). Rest of the class would sneer and chuckle, the so-called thin girls would laugh at all of us. We had no other option but to develop a thick skin (thicker than our adipose that is).

Next, when we made it to the ground to play, we three were first made to run 3 times around the ground (not everyone) and then given the tennikoit, because that is what fat people deserved to play. While rest of the class played Kho-Kho (girls) and cricket (boys), we had to stand in a triangle and throw the damn tennikoit to each other for 45 minutes. I am sure tennikoit is a lovely game, but I blame this lady for ruining it for me.

Once, on a very hot day, we moved under the shade of trees on the corner of our ground and continued playing. But this lady was super upset and said I am very proud of my “white” skin and do not want to be sun burnt like the others and that’s why I plotted against her (!), brainwashed the other two ‘fat’ girls (because fat=brainless) and moved under the shade. She made us move back under the blasting sun and was satisfied only when my “white” skin was sufficiently roasted and yes, she made fun of the fact that my face turned red, calling me names - saying I had too much attitude as I thought of myself as a Kashmir apple. What offends me the most is she thought I have such poor imagination!
For a child that is growing up, her world is her home and her school. So many belief systems are formed based on what people in this world say or do. Unfortunately, as a child I genuinely believed this lady and believed that I was morbidly obese, ugly, weak. It affected my self-esteem and self-image. I believed this lady and accepted that I could never be good in sport and happily dived into books for comfort (thank god for books!).

Later in life, I was lucky to move into a boarding school that had a wonderful games teacher who encouraged me into learning how to swim and briefly even play volleyball. Never did he mention anyone’s height or weight. Focus was only on team work and doing your best in the game and for the team. Eventually, I even completed a Himalayan trek in 2010 with all my so-called weight (Again, after a “concerned” aunty said with my weight I couldn’t climb even a hillock).

One’s height, weight, skin color etc. are part of one’s genetics. It is not an achievement if you are naturally in the “gifted” zone. Yes, if you want your students or your loved ones to be healthy, motivate and encourage them without breaking them. Not all fat people are lazy or over-eaters. How does anyone’s height weight matter if they are active, healthy and happy? Someone might be battling a health condition that has pushed them into weight gain as a side-effect. Your unwarranted advice will only hurt them. Think before you speak. One harsh sentence from you can push them into a lifetime of self-doubt, lack of self-acceptance or even an eating disorder. We are all made in different shapes and sizes and that’s the beauty of nature. Wouldn’t it be boring if everyone looked a perfect 10?

#StopBodyShaming




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1 - My cycle(s)

Blog 16 - School elections

Blog 17 – Lost and Found