Blog 7 - First best friend



In life, I have been blessed with exceptional friends who are each unique in their own way. When I look back in time, I realize that I made my first best friend for life way back in school. J and I were in the same class since primary school, but really hit it off when we were in the same section from class six.

J was and still is full of life! We used to chat nonstop, be in inside or outside the class, especially in the Hindi class, as our spoken Hindi was good thanks to the influence of our respective mothers (J is Bengali, and my mom grew up in the north). Outside of school, I would regularly visit her home in Korattur, where her mother used to make my favorite egg curry and vegetable fried rice for lunch 😊 We would eat, listen to songs (remember cassette players?), walk around Korattur and even visit J’s tailor sometimes. J would fill me in about the latest trends in fashion, serials, movies and gossip!
I used to (still do) admire J’s confidence and friendliness with people, the way she dressed & carried herself. We participated in several cultural programs and competitions in school. As we grew up, our bond also matured.

I remember when it was time for us to visit some colleges together, we went with each other; first time all the way to Kattankulathur and then camp road (same day) all the way from Perambur/Korattur, to make enquiries about the college and collect copies of college prospective (back in the day college websites were not that great). We chose different colleges and our paths diverged after that, but we met once at her wedding reception and then only last year when I went to see her new-born in Germany. But, every time we meet, we just pick up from where we left it off the previous time 😊  

Every friendship goes through its fair share of ups and downs, and ours was no different. In fact, when I now look back in time, I can see that our friendship has gone from strength to strength. From chatting about movies and fashion as little girls, to discussing tuitions, exams & college admissions as teenagers, and later to sharing our experiences in our jobs and the people that we came across (read prospective grooms) as young adults to now, I have always been able to have the most trivial to the deepest conversations with her. It is indeed true in our case that the friends one makes in childhood are the ones for life!

Thank you for all the moments and discussions, J. You will always find a friend and admirer in me 😊

#girlpower
#bffsforlife
#childhoodmemories
#bestfriend
#1990s


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1 - My cycle(s)

Blog 16 - School elections

Blog 17 – Lost and Found