Blog 2 - My favorite teacher



Mrs. Uma Saibaba, my English teacher will always remain my most favorite teacher for this lifetime. Her lessons in the classroom were obviously very engaging and wonderful, but it was her nature that I was fan of. She was a gentle teacher, soft-spoken and very patient with our class. No matter how unruly we were, I have never seen her speak a harsh word or raise her hand on anyone. After parents, teachers are the biggest influence on a child and from her I also learnt humility. She identified the fact that I loved reading books and would always be happy to discuss with me what books I was reading, exchange some of her books with mine, discuss different stories and authors.

Once, deeply influenced by the TV show ‘Small wonder’, I went and asked her why we do not have book review in our class. In ‘Small wonder’, the kids Jamie, Harriet and Vicky (the robot) had to read a book each and come and present the book to their class. Although on the show the kids were unhappy about it, I was most excited with the concept. Imagine if 40 kids read 40 books, you would know 40 different stories in one school term! That was much faster than I could read at that age!
Any other teacher would have dismissed me and my idea, but Mrs. Uma Saibaba was on board, although it was not part of the syllabus or even the Indian schooling system to have a book review. I remember when she announced everyone must do the book review, most kids groaned at the idea. Being the enthusiastic bookworm that I was, obviously I volunteered to go first. I had received a book from my uncle in California, called “Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone” and it blew my mind away the first time I read it. I am not sure if the book had already released in India same time as the US, but most of the class did not know of the book yet. Anyway, in a week’s time I presented the book and so did few others, but I think the book review concept did not take off as the number of volunteers dwindled as weeks went by and there were exams to worry about.

I remember once the librarian telling me that there was a limit to the number of books a student could borrow and so I started skipping lunch to sit in the library and read as many books as I could. Mrs. Uma Saibaba noticed that and spoke to the librarian and got me permission to borrow as many books as I wanted on the condition that I would never skip lunch again 😊

She trained me for every competition and radio show I was part of, throughout my schooling. I was given the opportunity to be the compere of few school shows and her inputs boosted my confidence as a public speaker. Being her student was a large part of the happy days of my childhood. Thank you, ma’am!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1 - My cycle(s)

Blog 16 - School elections

Blog 17 – Lost and Found